Texas Radiological Society Origins
In the summer of 1903, two physicians who were practicing in the central Texas town of Hillsboro met on the public square while watering their horses. One doctor extended an invitation to the other to visit his office and see his new x-ray machine. The other doctor stated that he was leaving the following day for a six-week course at the Illinois School of X-Ray and Electro-Therapeutics and had a new x-ray machine enroute by water from New York. Neither physician had known that the other was interested in x-ray, and they began to discuss their mutual interest.
So it was on the public square in Hillsboro, Texas that the specialty of radiology in the Southwest had its beginning. A few years later, these physicians moved their practices and announced that they would be "limited to X-ray and Electrotherapeutics". These two pioneers were James Madison Martin, M.D., Dallas, father of Charles Louis Martin, M.D., and George Doherty Bond, M.D., Fort Worth, father of Thomas Burke Bond, M.D.
It was these two physicians who were instrumental in arranging a meeting for those interested in x-ray to be held during the TMA session in Houston, Texas on May 13, 1914. Twenty-three members met in the office of the Great Southern Life Insurance Company. These parties shared the vision of a state-wide organization for the improvement of the fledgling specialty of Roentgenology. Accordingly, they drew up a constitution and elected a slate of officers. They also agreed to meet again the following year with a program of scientific lectures of common interest.
So was born the Texas Radiological Society, the oldest state X-Ray society in the United States.
Peter B. Riesz, M.D.
Texas Radiological Society Historian
April 10, 1999