Welcome new YPS members!
I am excited to introduce the newly formed YPS (Young Professional Section) of TRS. Dr. Nidhi Sharma and I are honored to be your incoming Vice-Chair and Chair. Our mission is to provide YPS members (early career radiologist under the age of 40 or within the first 8 years of practice after residency/fellowship) leadership opportunities, YPS educational material, mentorship for YPS members, improving physician wellness and advocate for YPS related issues.
We will be having quarterly emails over each of these tenets and this email will focus on leadership opportunities available for YPS members which is one of our main goals. The multiple leadership opportunities currently offered to members include.
- Texas Medical Association (TMA) Leadership College: Application deadline is 8/14/20. The TRS Foundation offers travel stipends for TMALC events held in person to TRS members chosen to participate in the program.
- Radiology Leadership Institute (RLI) Leadership Summit: Annually the TRS Foundation offers 3, 50% tuition scholarships to TRS members to offset the cost of attending the RLI Leadership Summit. Due to COVID-19 the 2020 Leadership Summit has been canceled. Look for opportunities to apply for the scholarships in 2021.
- TRS Committees: Please review the list of TRS Committees found here. If you are interested in serving on any of the committees listed, please fill out the form at the bottom of the page and TRS staff will contact you as openings arise.
- Alternate Councilor to the American College of Radiology (ACR): TRS has a 29 member Texas Council to the ACR, comprised of 24 Councilors and 25 Alternate Councilors. Alternate Councilors serve one-year terms from June 1- May 30 and while the 2020-21 roster is already full, if you are interested in serving in this role please fill out the form at the bottom of this page so that we may contact you this fall when the nominations for the 2021-2022 term are open.
- TMA YPS: I highly recommend involvement with the Texas Medical Association as well which I have had the opportunity to be involved with both as a resident and YPS. They typically have 3 meetings throughout the year and also have many leadership opportunities.
As you can see there are many benefits being a YPS members. Additionally YPS members receive phased-in reduced membership dues for TRS/ACR membership. We are currently working on a YPS event for the TRS 108th Annual Meeting, April 23-25, 2021 in Galveston, with a dedicated YPS networking event. I will be attending the TRS Interim Leadership meeting in August and would ask if there are any issues or questions you would like conveyed to the Board of Directors to please email me and I will present on your behalf. Nidhi and I have provided some bio backgrounds and are incredibly excited to get the YPS section implemented. We hope you get involved with many of these leadership opportunities.
Stephen Herrmann, MD, PhD